We are a Polish family of 5: mum Barbara, dad Andrew plus Kacper (9), Konrad (7) and Kaja (5). We left our cosy life in Berlin to set off on a new, exciting adventure!
We started family trips with a trip to Mexico with our first born son Kacper when he was one. Then we visited Indonesia and the USA with two little boys and finally spent 8 months travelling in a motorhome across South America.
So far, when travelling with little kids, our main goal was TO SURVIVE 🙂
Now our goal is TO SPEND QUALITY TIME with our children and show them the world.
In September 2018, we set off on a 6-month trip to Australia, New Zealand and Bali. We started in Australia (stage I), then we drove around both islands in New Zealand (stage II) and flew back to Bali (stage III).
During the trip, we homeschooled our children.. We worked on reading, writing and maths inPolish, German and English.
However, this journey was the main driving force to learn itself -- we admired nature, geography, culture and history through most natural possible way: adventures and real-life experiences.
STAGE I -- AUSTRALIA
On September 4, 2018, we landed in Sydney and bought
old campervan Toyota Hiace -- with 4.5 sleeping places, a stove and a small table. We bought a mobile toilet and set off to the north.
In Australia we spent 3 months touring:
- Queensland, or East Coast -- Brisbane, Arlie Beach, Townsville, Cairns to Daintree Forest
- Outback -- through Mt Isa, Alice Springs to Uluru and Kata Tjuta and then via Coober Pedy to Port Augusta.
- Victoria and New South Wales -- Adelaide, Melbourne, Mount Kosciuszko and Sydney.
STAGE II -- NEW ZEALAND
In December 2018, we land in Auckland, where for 10 days (long!) we’ve been looking for the right camper for us. Again we get Toyota Hiace, though 10 years younger!
We tour both islands for two months:
- from Auckland we reach Cape Reinga
- through Whitianga, Rotorua, Taupo and Palmerson we reach Wellington in NYE 18/19
- after the ferry transfer to Picton, we drive to the Abel Tasman Park
- on the western coast via Westport, we reach the Fox and Franz Josef glaciers next to Mt Cook, then Wanaka and south to Invercargill
- We return through the Otago peninsula, Oamaru, Lake Tekapo to Christchurch and take the ferry from Picton
- West coast of the north island through Whanganui, New Plymounth, Waitomo we reach Auckland.
STAGE III -- relax on Bali
Although it was a dream trip we got tired: small space in the car, high prices in Australia and weary schedule.
We went to relax to Bali, hoping that we will improve the budget and boost up energy. After the temperature shock and getting used to haggling everywhere, we decide to go scuba diving:
WHY DO WE GO?
We set off on this trip for several reasons, some are more or less important, you decide:
-- because life is rushing like TGV and we feel we miss everyday life of our children
-- because we feel we have too many things and get “grounded”
-- because we want to spend valuable time with children consciously educating and enriching them
-- because we want our children to think “out of the box” and grow “outside the system”
-- because parents are the greatest example for children, so we want to show them how to live bravely
-- because we dreamed that we would start a “dream life” after being 40 and it’s now!
-- because if not now, then when?
Do you like this idea?
- like us on FB / share it / tell your friends
- drink a beer for us
- take a trip with your kids yourself and write a comment to this blog
- support us on Patronite
- subscribe to the newsletter